Thursday, December 15, 2011

Really Celebrating Christmas

John 14:6 (NET) - Jesus replied, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

The Christmas Program our church presented was a resounding success.

I am not just saying that because I was in it.

My performance, if one were to venture to call it that, was hardly a performance.

Anna, an extremely talented lady in my church family, writes the Christmas Program for us every year.

Her theme this year was "What Christmas Is" as opposed to what it is not.

Each scene opened with what Christmas "is not", be it expensive gifts or fancy meals or other such things that are really not necessary to truly celebrate Christmas.

My role was to let each scene develop and then enter stage left and more or less set the record straight.

As I was portraying myself delivering dialog that I personally agreed with, I could hardly consider that acting.

To quote my last line...

"Christmas is the Holy celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ and we should include our Savior in our celebration. And He loves even the simplest expression of our love and commitment."

Thank you, Anna.

I could not have written it any better than that.

We tend to get so carried away with our celebrations that we tend to let the preparations crowd out the real reason for celebrating in the first place. Namely, Jesus Himself.

John 1:12-13 (NET) - But to all who have received Him - those who believe in His Name - He has given the right to become God’s children - children not born by human desire, or a husband’s decision, but by God.

Jesus is God’s gift of mercy to us.

We celebrate the birth of Jesus because we would be totally lost without Him.

We can include a variety of activities in our celebrations, even church Christmas programs, as long as those activities do not distract us from the real reason for celebration.

Bearing that in mind, I wish you and yours a merry and blessed Christmas which includes our Savior!


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, December 23,, 2011.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I’ll be back here on Friday, December 30, 2011.
Schedule subject to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment