Thursday, December 1, 2011

Acting the Part

Philippians 4:13 (NET) - I can do all things through the one who strengthens me.

Thanksgiving Day is now a memory and now we now find ourselves preparing for Christmas.

There is a photograph being shared on the Internet of two houses side by side.

The house on the left is decorated for Christmas with many strings of colorful lights that obviously took its owners days of preparation.

The house on the right has only a single strand of white lights adorning it that spells out the word "DITTO".

When it comes to decorating for the holidays, I admit that I lean more to the house on the right.

That is especially true for me this year.

Just when I thought I could not fit much more on my plate, I now find myself rehearsing for a role in the Christmas program that my church will present.

I am not an actor by any stretch of the imagination, but I must admit that I am actually looking forward to this having read the script.

I look forward to it for several reasons.

First, the program has a really good message.

Second, it will give me the opportunity to work with my church’s young people.

I am really impressed by our young people and the adults that supervise and teach them.

I admit that this is taking me well outside my comfort zone.

God seems to have been doing that for me a great deal over the course of the last few years.

Notice that I said that He has been "doing that for me" instead of "doing that to me".

Sometimes it almost feels like God is doing things to us when He takes us out of our comfort zones.

In reality, He does these things for us allowing us to grow spiritually.

So, there is yet a third reason why I am looking forward to this.

I may not know all the reasons why God is giving me this opportunity.

There is one thing I do know...

As the verse I opened with states, He will be there with me through it all.


Blessings,

Jim Pokorny

The Other Brother Jim

Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, December 9, 2011.

Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!

I’ll be back here on Friday, December 16, 2011.

Schedule subject to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment