Thursday, July 29, 2010

She's His Daughter, Too

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (KJV)
Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort; who comforted us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

Several years ago, I was involved in a car accident while driving across a bridge.

A left turn lane opened up at the end of the bridge that could safely accommodate three vehicles at the most.

This particular day, several cars decided to turn left and some of those drivers stopped rather abruptly on the bridge.

Suddenly, there was a sea of brake lights in front of me and I had no choice but to hard brake.

I stopped short of making contact with the car in front of me.

The car behind me was not able to do so and rear ended me.

Once traffic began moving again I drove across the bridge and pulled off the road.

The other driver pulled over as well.

I exited my vehicle and was approached by a frightened young lady (a student at the local university) who apologized repeatedly.

I asked her if she was injured and she replied that she was not.

I informed her that I was not injured either.

I reminded her that the most important thing was that neither one of us was hurt.

Next we looked at my vehicle which had some damage to the bumper. "No big deal," I assured her.

Next we looked at the damage to her vehicle and she began to panic.

I explained that her vehicle was equipped with crumple zones designed to absorb impact and that the damage to her car actually protected her.

When she calmed down I asked her to call the police while I checked her vehicle to make sure it was drivable. I checked for fluid leaks and other items as I did not wish for her to have another accident.

As I finished the inspection, she approached me with her phone in hand and asked, "Would you please do me a favor?"

"Of course," I replied.

"Would you talk to my mother?", she asked pleadingly as she handed me her phone.

I took the phone said hello and found myself talking to a rather hysterical mother.

I explained things to her the way I explained them to her daughter.

I finished by telling her that we were both just victims of circumstance and then handed the phone back.

A moment later, we both saw the police car heading our way and she hung up her phone.

She walked over to me and said, "My mother wants to thank you for being so nice to me. I want to thank you, too."

"You're quite welcome," I replied.

I thought about what she said.

I remembered that this young lady had a Heavenly Father as well. Looking back, I am glad I was nice to His daughter as well.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
a.k.a., The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeet.byethost3.com on Friday, August 6, 2010.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I'll be back here on Friday, August 13, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment