Thursday, July 8, 2010

Celebrating Dependence Day

Psalm 5:11 (KJV)
But let all those that put their trust in Thee rejoice; let them ever shout for joy, because Thou defendest them; let them also that love Thy name be joyful in Thee.

In America, we recently celebrated the Fourth of July. That is what it has come to be known. It's official name is Independence Day.

The celebration of independence is by no means strictly an American phenomenon.

Many nations and cultures celebrate their own days of independence.

Independence lends itself quite easily to celebration.

Even as children, we long for the day when we will be old enough to strike out on our own and experience independence.

Life, though, is full of irony, and we soon find out that being independent is not at all what we imagined it would be like. We also discover that with freedom comes the freedom to make mistakes. We then learn that we are the ones to have deal with their consequences.

With independence comes responsibility and we quickly find out that the word "responsibility" has the word "responsible" buried within it.

Yet, in spite of these responsibilities, independence still retains a positive connotation.

In contrast, on the other end of the spectrum from "independence" lies "dependence".

Dependence carries with it a negative connotation.

For example, one can have a chemical dependency.

When it comes to matters of a spiritual nature, dependency is actually a good thing, provided one is totally dependent on God.

The Psalm's provide excellent examples for us.

Psalm 18: 2 - The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

Psalm 56:3-4 - What time I am afraid, I will trust in Thee, In God I will praise His Word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

The New Testament provides us with good examples as well.

For example, in the ninth chapter of the Book of Luke, Jesus sends his disciples into the world to preach the Kingdom. He gives them power over all demons and the power to cure diseases.
Yet He tells them to take nothing for the journey. According to Luke 9:3 (NET)...

He said to them, "Take nothing for your journey - no staff, no bag, no money, and do not take an extra tunic."

The ability to cure diseases and conquer demons will be the easy part. Jesus Himself grants them these powers.

For their basic daily needs like food and shelter from the night chill they will be totally dependent on God and must have faith that He will provide them.

Having faith in God means depending on Him.

We find that difficult because we have been conditioned by the world to be self reliant and independent.

We can un-learn this conditioning and learn to trust God completely.

Once we do, we can then celebrate our Dependence Day.

Blessings,
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeet.byethost3.com on Friday, July 16, 2010.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I'll be back here on Friday, July 23, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment