Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Look That Said It All

Romans 14:10 (KJV)
But why dost thou judge thy brother? Or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

Periodically our church takes its turn staffing the local food bank.

Volunteers are needed to prepare bags of groceries on Friday, others are needed Saturday to assist with distribution.

Due to my work schedule, I volunteer for Saturday when I can.

There are many tasks to be performed but one of the ones I enjoy the most is carrying bags to vehicles for those that require assistance.

I enjoy this task because it allows me to use the time to talk with these individuals.

One particular Saturday, I had already made several trips when a young couple came in with their small children.

Because of their situation, they were entitled to more than one bag.

I politely asked them if they needed any help carrying their bags.

The young lady smiled and said they wouldn't.

That's when it happened.

I turned to the you young man and asked, "Are you sure?"

Suddenly, our eyes met for a brief moment, and he gave me a look that spoke volumes before he averted his gaze.

His look said, "Don't judge me for not being able to provide for my family."

That hit me.

I was not being judgmental. In fact nothing even close to that thought ever entered my mind.

I knew one thing.

This young man was not just being overly sensitive.

I feel certain he had been judged by others in the past… and judged harshly.

Harshly enough to misinterpret even the friendliest of gestures.

I still recall that day and that incident in particular and when I do, it is with a tremendous amount of pity.

My pity is not for the young man, though.

Rather, it is for those that have judged or perhaps misjudged him.

As we are reminded in Matthew 7: 1-2 - Judge not, that ye not be judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Blessings,
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeet.byethost3.com on Friday, August 6, 2010.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I'll be back here on Friday, July 30, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment