Thursday, June 27, 2024

Rest and Understanding

 

Psalm 6:2-3a (NRSVue) - Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are shaking with terror. My soul also is struck with terror,

Psalm 6 is a prayer for recovery.

In fact, it is a prayer for recovery from a serious illness.

The words reflect just how heavy the burden is and how strong is the fear that accompanies it.

In Matthew 28, Jesus prays to the Father.

He thanks the Father.

Christ acknowledges that those the world deems simple are granted insight.

No one knows the Son except the Father.

And no one knows the Father except the Son and those whom the Son chose to know the Father,

Christ then prays for those who are burdened and promises rest.

Matthew 11:28 (NRSVue) - “Come to me, all you who are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.

Christ is the great physician.

He tells us to bring our burdens to Him.

And when we do, Christ grants us rest.

This is not just rest for our bodies, this is rest for our souls as well.

It does not matter what our burdens are, Christ invites us to bring those burdens to Him.

He removes all burdens: physical illness, fear; distress of the mind, even concerns of the heart.

In their place, Christ gives rest, peace, and hope.

This is one of the first verses my mother taught me as a small boy more than half a century ago.

I take its meaning to heart.

I also understand that this was a very unique way in which I was chosen to know the Father.


Blessings,

Jim Pokorny

The Other Brother Jim

Look for me at faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com on Friday, July 5, 2024.

I will be back here on Friday, July 12, 2024


No comments:

Post a Comment