Thursday, June 13, 2024

As Near as Prayer

 

Jonah 2:7 (NRSVue) - As my life was ebbing away, I remembered the Lord, and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.

Jonah prayed from the belly of the fish that swallowed him.

Although in a crisis, Jonah knew God would hear his prayer.

Although miles away from any human being, Jonah knew God was nearby.

Paul, in his letter to the Philippians, encourages his readers.

He reminds them not to worry about anything.

He also reminds them to give thanks and pray.

Philippians 4:6 (NRSVue) - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Everyone, including me, faces difficult and challenging times in life.

When we find ourselves in a crisis, we often focus on the challenge rather than the solution.

We even think we are alone although we are not.

When troubles come, we would do well to remember Jonah.

Though miles away from any human being, God was as near as a prayer.

We would also do well to remember Paul, who reminds us not to worry about anything.

Instead, we should pray with an attitude of thanksgiving.

We will then encounter God’s grace and have enough strength to meet the challenge.

Paul had something to say about this as well.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10 (NRSVue) - Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” So I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ, for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.


Blessings,

Jim Pokorny

The Other Brother Jim

Look for me at faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com on Friday, June 21, 2024.

I will be back here on Friday, June 28, 2024


No comments:

Post a Comment