Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Other Side of the Boat

John 21:6 (NET) - He told them, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some. So they threw the net, and were not able to pull it in because of the large number of fish."

Whenever I read the Bible, I always look forward to the book of John.

There is something about this book that resonates deep within me.

The final chapter in the book, Chapter 21, I find very special.

As I recently read this chapter again I was struck by something I had not considered before.

As I began the chapter, I read how the disciples were fishing but had not caught a single fish.

Jesus calls to them from the shore but they do not recognize Him.

He tells them to cast their nets on the right side.

They do and catch so many fish that they cannot pull the net back in.

The things that normally came to mind still did.

First, when the disciples’ methods failed them, Jesus came through for them.

Second, this was yet another miracle performed by the risen Jesus.

Third, this was very much like the encounter in Luke Chapter 5 in which Jesus gets into Peter’s boat after Peter had caught no fish during the night. Jesus tells Peter to head into deep water and lower the nets. Peter does so and so many fish were caught that the nets began to tear.

This time, something new occurred to me as I read the account in John.

The disciples were to be "fishers of men" as well.

As believers, so are we.

When the disciples had no success fishing on the usual side of the boat, Jesus instructed them to fish on the other side.

When they did, the abundance of the catch far exceeded their expectations.

As we continue to fulfill the great commission and reach out to others, perhaps we should change our approach as well.

Perhaps we should reach out to those we have not tried to reach before.

Maybe it is time that we cast our nets in a new direction.

If we do, the abundance of the catch could greatly exceed our expectations as well.

In parting, I simply must share one of my favorite verses also from this chapter.

John 21:25 (NET) -There are many other things that Jesus did. If every one of them were written down, I suppose the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, August 16, 2013.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I’ll be back here on Friday, August 23, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment