Thursday, July 25, 2013

Keeping It Simple

Mark 10:15 (NET) - I tell you the truth, whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.


When we were children we were taught a song in Sunday School.

Having only said that much you may be thinking of it already.

The song I am reminiscing about is Jesus Loves Me.

It was written by Anna B. Warner in 1860 as a poem.

It was set to music in 1861 by William Bradbury.

It is a simple song, to be sure.


Jesus loves me!

This I know,

For the Bible tells me so.

Little ones to Him belong;

They are weak but he is strong.


Something happens to us as we mature.

We drift away from this wonderful song.

Perhaps we feel it is too simple.

Perhaps we feel we have outgrown it.

What a pity.

Matthew 18:4 (NET) - Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Meaning no disrespect to Anna Warner, I thought that it might be worthwhile to attempt some lyrics applicable to other stages in our lives.

Perhaps something like this when we consider ourselves "in our prime".


Jesus loves me!

Anyway.

Even when I sin or stray.

He’s been waiting all along;

For my confession that I’m wrong.


Or, something like this when we enter the twilight of our lives.


Jesus loves me!

Though I’m gray,

He’s been with me every day.

One day I’ll say my goodbyes,

Then I’ll see Him with my eyes.


Simple?

Perhaps.

As we grow older our lives become more complicated.

We continually exchange one set of challenges for another.

Faith, on the other hand, remains divinely uncomplicated.

Romans 10:9 (NET) - ... because if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, August 2, 2013.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I’ll be back here on Friday, August 9, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment