Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Mansion Was Not For Her

Matthew 6:19-21 (ASV)
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break through and steal: but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven. Where neither moth nor rust doth consume, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: for where thy treasure is, there will thy heart be also.

A few years ago, I took Mother out for a drive one Saturday.

The land was relatively flat where we lived and the Texas Hill Country was just a few miles away. I thought this change of scenery would do us both some good.

I suggested this little trip and she readily agreed.

We set out and about an hour later, we reached the very first hills.

I periodically glanced in her direction and observed her taking in the scenery.

A short time later, we entered an affluent area and in one of those periodic glances I noticed she was looking up.

Curiosity got the best of me.

"Mom, what are you looking at?", I asked.

She replied, "I'm looking at those houses on the tops of those hills. I would not like living there."

Mother grew up in the Great Depression era and had no idea just how expensive those homes and land holdings really were. These homes were owned by people with fantastic incomes.

I could not let this opportunity pass by.

"Mom, I promise you here and now that I will never force you to live in one of those homes," I stated. It was a promise made in jest since I knew I would never have the means to do so. Neither did I aspire to.

Mother was called home by the Lord not long afterward and I know that according to scripture she is in His presence.

Nothing this world has to offer could compete with that.

I also know that heaven far surpasses anything I can imagine.

John 14:1-2 (ASV) - Let not your heart be troubled: believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.

I also know Mother has a place there. I am as sure of that as I am sure that I am writing this.

I also know I will see her there some day.

Those who have given their lives to Jesus have that assurance.

I know she gave her life to Jesus because she helped me to do the same.

Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeet.byethost3.com on Friday, October 15 and Friday, October 22, 2010.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I'll be back here on Friday, October 29, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment