Thursday, April 29, 2010

What Massive Stones

Mark 13:1 (NIV)
As He was leaving the temple, one of His disciples said to Him, "Teacher! What massive stones! What magnificent buildings!


As a very young child growing up in a small Texas town, I don't believe we had a building more than three stories tall.

My father sold and repaired televisions and radios for his livelihood and my childhood was relatively simple.

I had an aunt who lived in Austin with her daughter and one day, their television quit working.

Although there were repairmen in Austin, she trusted my father to fix it properly.

That Friday evening, my father loaded up the van with all the equipment and parts that he might need and he, my mother and I made the forty mile drive into Austin.

Once we arrived, we discovered that my aunt and her daughter had prepared a meal for all of us to share.

After the meal, my father proceeded to work on the television and my aunt offered to take my mother and I downtown to which my mother agreed.

This was an experience for me unlike any I ever had before.

In my small town, businesses closed in the evening and most people simply went home.

In Austin, downtown was lit up. Stores were open for business and traffic still moved at a brisk pace.

Things got even more exciting when we parked the car and began walking around.

Suddenly, we found ourselves on Congress Avenue with its unobstructed view of the Capitol Building made up of huge blocks of pink granite and its impressive rotunda bathed in bright light.

I was impressed.

Even more impressive to me were the multi-story concrete and steel buildings we walked beside.

Whenever we would pause, I recall craning my head back as far as I could just to see if I could see the top of the building we happened to be beside.

I was small.

I felt even smaller.

Whenever I read this passage of scripture, I think I have an idea of the awe the disciples felt when they saw the "massive stones" and the "magnificent buildings".

Yet, as magnificent as some of our earthly structures are, they will pale in comparison to what we will find in heaven.

The Bible offers us glimpses of heaven.

Jesus says in John 14:2, "In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you."

Revelation 21:21 states, "The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of pure gold, like transparent glass."


I am convinced that heaven will be more impressive than anything I have ever seen and more beautiful than anything I can possibly imagine.


Blessings,
The Other Brother Jim

Look for me at http://faithfulfeet.co.nr on May 7, 2010.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I'll be back here on May 14, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment