Thursday, April 22, 2010

Coping

Psalm 46:1 (NIV)
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

As Christians, we are all called upon to give of ourselves.

Yet, we all know at least that one Christian that is really special; the one that we feel truly makes a difference.

My church had just such a young lady.

She was extremely talented when it came to teaching children.

It was a pleasure for us as adults to watch her doing this work. The children responded very well to her and she made it look effortless.

Although she had no children of her own, she was aware that every child is special to God and she treated them that way.

She had a marvelous way of teaching children Christian concepts in a way that young minds could easily grasp.

One day, we learned that she had been diagnosed with cancer and that her time with us was probably limited.

There were days when I am sure she was not feeling particularly well, and yet she put on a brave face for the children and taught them their lesson as if she did not have a problem or care in the world.

She continued to do this right up to the time she went to be with the Lord.

She was special. Everyone in our church family thought so.

The first Sunday after her funeral, I walked into my Sunday School class and saw the looks of hurt on the faces of my students.

I knew whatever lesson plan I had prepared was going to have to wait.

At that time, healing was needed and needed badly.

I shared a story involving this young lady with my students and invited them in turn to do the same.

As the others shared, I offered up a silent prayer to God on how best to help them.

The message He put in my heart is one I will never forget and I share it with you now.

When someone that special is no longer with you, it leaves a big hole. That hole can never be completely filled. But… you can make it smaller simply by drawing closer together.

When all were through sharing, I suggested we take a moment to pray aloud and I included that sentiment in my prayer for their benefit.


Some holes can never be filled completely. With His help you can them smaller.

Blessings,
The Other Brother Jim

I’ll be back here on April 30, 2010 and again on May 14, 2010.
Look for me at http://faithfulfeet.co.nr on May 7, 2010.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jim, I loved this post. And I need you to come over to my blog this morning at robinsnest66.blogspot.com I have a gift for you.
    Blessings, Robin

    ReplyDelete