Monday, March 8, 2010

The Office

Isaiah 37:14 (NIV)
Hezekiah received the letter from the messengers and read it. Then he went up to the temple of the Lord and spread it out before the Lord.

My first job as an adult was in a factory.

I worked in quality control which was located next to shipping.

The completed product was wheeled into my department for final inspection and the survivors, I mean, "product that passed inspection", was sent on to shipping.

Beyond shipping was a pair of double doors which might as well have been a drawbridge with an alligator filled moat thrown in for effect.

Virtually no one on my side dared venture beyond those doors for beyond them was "The Office."

You see there was a definite us versus them mentality in this facility. Exactly who was "us" and who was "them" depended entirely upon which side of these doors you were on.

I suspect that kind of work environment hasn't changed very much over the years.
I was one of those few intrepid souls who dared venture into "The Office".

Once there, I encountered their first line of defense otherwise known as "Department Management".

Here, the heads of the various departments managed the day to day affairs of those actually
doing the work.

On a couple of rare occasions, my needs could not be met by these individuals, so I ascended to level two of the gauntlet otherwise known as "Mid-Level Management."

Beyond this group lay the final frontier known as "Upper Management."

These people actually existed. I know. I've seen their offices.

Many of my coworkers did not believe me.

I really can't blame them. Seeing their offices was one thing. Seeing the occupants of those offices, well, that was another matter.

I suppose I could have tried to walk casually in the direction of those offices as if I actually had business there. I probably would not have succeeded. I am sure they had rehearsed contingency plans just in case some hardy soul had been brave enough to try.

I am sure that in the long run, I would have been politely (or perhaps not so politely) been told that these magnates of the business world were just too busy to spend time with someone the likes of me.

I certainly am glad that God does not run the business of His creation that way.

In a way, God is like the ultimate CEO that keeps the business of His creation running like clockwork.

The sun goes up; the sun goes down.

Spring follows winter; summer follows spring.

You get the idea.

As busy as God is, He is never too busy too spend time with any one of us. In fact, he actually cares about each and every one of us and actually wants us to spend time with Him.

Best of all, you don't have to go through a lot of bureaucratic red tape just trying to set up an appointment to see Him.

You see, He really wants you to meet with Him.

In fact, He really would like nothing better than for you to have a personal relationship with Him.

So, what are you waiting for?

His door is open and there is no waiting.

God Bless You,
The Other Brother Jim

NEXT WEEK...
A Noble Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment