Friday, March 26, 2010

Lord, You Know All Things

John 21:17 (NIV)
The third time He said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love Me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time. "Do you Love Me?" He said, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You."
Jesus said, "Feed My sheep."

When I was very young, my father would always come home to have his lunch and then return to work.

Every morning, my mother would go into the kitchen to prepare that lunch and she insisted that I accompany her.

Once in the kitchen, she would have me sit at the table while she began preparing the meal and would use this opportunity to tell me stories from the Bible.

One of the stories I remember quite vividly was how Jesus foretold that Peter would deny Him three times.

I know this particular episode was special to my mother, because she told it to me several times and always with a great deal of emotion. Looking back, I suppose she could not grasp how someone could deny Jesus once let alone three times.

That is probably why the last chapter of John has always been my favorite chapter in all of scripture. Not only has Christ risen, but He also redeems Peter.

I have always found the conversation between Jesus and Peter particularly moving.

Jesus asked Peter, "Do you truly love Me more than these?"

Peter replied, "Yes Lord, You know that I love You."

Jesus asked a second time, "Do you truly love Me?"

Peter replied again, "Yes Lord, You know that I love You."

Jesus asked a third time, "Do you love Me?"

The Bible tells us that Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him three times, "Do you love Me?"

Why was Peter hurt?

Did he recall how he boldly told Jesus that he would die for Him?

Did he recall how Jesus foretold that he would deny Him three times?

Did he recall that it happened just the way Jesus said that it would?

Three times Peter denied Jesus.

Three times Jesus asked, "Do you love Me?"

I have always found Peter's response particularly poignant.

Then, one day, years after my mother first told me this story, the implication of Peter's response crystallized in my mind.

Peter said, "Lord, You know all things..."

Since Jesus knows all things, He knew Peter would deny Him.

In that same moment, He also knew that Peter would be forgiven and redeemed!

It was not an afterthought.

It was not something He deliberated.

He knew it all along.

As a Christian, I take a great deal of comfort in that.

Since Jesus knows all things, He knows that from time to time, I will let Him down.

At the same time He knows that the day will come when I will regret it and come back to Him.

Like Peter, I may feel awkward or perhaps even hurt.

Whatever I may feel, He also knows that I need to go through this experience in order to bring me closer to Him.

After all, He does know all things.

Author's Note - My dear mother went to be with the Lord several years ago. I am forever indebted to her for the foundation of faith she instilled in me at that kitchen table so many years ago. It serves me well to this day and I build upon it with confidence.

I wish you a very happy and blessed Easter,
The Other Brother Jim


IN TWO WEEKS...
"He Thinks He Saw Jesus"

No comments:

Post a Comment