Psalm 91 is a prayer for protection.
In fact, it goes by another name, “The Soldier’s Psalm.”
(I encourage you to research that title)
In verse 14, the psalmist seeks God’s protection.
He also acknowledges the reason for that protection.
Psalm 91:14 (NIV) - “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
In John 17, Jesus prays for his disciples.
In verse 15, Jesus prays for their protection.
John 17:15 (NRSVue) – I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one.
Notice that Jesus does not ask God to take them out of the world.
He does not ask God to protect them from evil,
Jesus asks God to protect them from the source of that evil.
In Matthew 6, Jesus teaches His disciples to pray.
Some translations end verse 13 with “deliver us from evil.”
Other translations add one word.
Matthew 6:13 (NIV) - And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.
To be honest, the world is a frightening place.
Just reading the headlines is often enough to make one afraid.
But the solution is not to lock ourselves away from evil.
It is in acknowledging who is the source of all evil.
It is then trusting that God is with us and never leaves us.
Therein lies the beauty in loving God and trusting Him.
It also lies in the fact that God loves us.
The evil one will still try to attack us.
There is no getting around that as that is his nature.
Job is a perfect example of that fact.
But thanks to God’s love for us through Christ, we never face him alone.
Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com on Friday, September
4, 2026.
I will be back here on Friday, September 11, 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment