Thursday, May 23, 2019

Don't Give Up


Everyone gets tired.

Even people who serve the Lord.

In fact, burnout is a problem pastors face.

Even those of us who serve the Lord in other ways can find ourselves running on fumes.

Let’s face it, serving the Lord can sometimes feel overwhelming.

Fortunately, scripture helps remind us not to give up.

Jesus reminds us we must push forward.

Luke 9:62 (NET) - Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.”

Paul reminds us in one of his letters that we must press onward.

He even tells us what we can expect if we do.

Galatians 6:9 (NET) - So we must not grow weary in doing good, for in due time we will reap, if we do not give up.

Paul has another reminder for us,

Philippians 3:14 (NET) - with this goal in mind, I strive toward the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Perhaps Paul’s best advice comes in the next chapter.

In it, he reminds us that we are not in it alone.

Philippians 4:13 (NET) - I am able to do all things through the one who strengthens me.

I lovingly refer to this as my “go to” verse whenever I find myself struggling.

Paul also puts it another way.

Colossians 1:29 (NET) - Toward this goal I also labor, struggling according to his power that powerfully works in me.

Yes, serving the Lord can be difficult at times.

But we must never give up or give in!

We must persevere!

We must remember the Lord is with us.

If we do, in the end we can say what Paul said.

2 Timothy 4:7 (NET) - I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith!

Then the Lord may have something to say to us.

Jesus gave us a foretaste of it in one of His parables.

Matthew 25:21 (NIV) - “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, June 7, 2019.
I’ll be back here on Friday, June 14, 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment