Thursday, October 25, 2018

That's Not My Job


I’ve been working for the same office for almost three decades now.

I recall the time when I first started working there.

I was new and learning.

I was assigned a task and worked at it until I reached an impasse.

I remember walking up to a female coworker and asking for her help.

She responded in a terse manner, “That’s not my job.”

Fortunately, I was able to find someone who helped me.

I made the decision there and then that I would never tell someone who needed my help, “That’s not my job”.

I understood two things even back then.

First of all, work is an activity God meant for mankind.

One of the tasks God gave Adam was to tend the Garden.

Genesis 2:15 (NET) - The Lord God took the man and placed him in the orchard in Eden to care for it and to maintain it.

Second, we were created to help one another.

Galatians 6:2 (NET) - Carry one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

This applies to the workplace as well.

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”

There is truth in this but not always in the ways expected.

There are often times when a man (or in my earlier example, a woman) can remind us how NOT to treat others.

In Christ, we have the best teacher of all.

Christ not only told us to love one another, He demonstrated how as well.

Colossians 3:23-24 (NET) - Whatever you are doing, work at it with enthusiasm, as to the Lord and not for people, because you know that you will receive your inheritance from the Lord as the reward. Serve the Lord Christ.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, November 2, 2018.
I will be back here on Friday, November 9, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment