Thursday, September 13, 2018

Finishing the Race


Revelation 21:4 (NET) - He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death will not exist anymore—or mourning, or crying, or pain, for the former things have ceased to exist.

I have been a fan of auto racing for a very long time.

As with every sport, sometimes a story emerges that transcends the sport itself.

Weeks ago, one emerged that resonated within me and with fans all across America.

It was a story about an 11-year old boy diagnosed with leukemia.

This young man’s name was Caleb Hammond and he was a bigger fan than I could ever hope to be.

With treatments proving ineffective, it was decided that he would leave the hospital and live out his remaining days at home.

But Caleb did far more than that.

In August, Caleb was invited to Southern Iowa Speedway.

There, he learned that he would get to live his dream.

He would be able to race his own car on the track.

Later, he was able to take a ride in a Ferrari on a racetrack.

Shortly thereafter, the news broke that Caleb wanted racing stickers to adorn his coffin.

The racing community responded.

Drivers and teams sent boxes full of stickers to help fulfill Caleb’s final wish.

Caleb left this earthly life days ago.

With racing this week at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, several drivers honored Caleb with “Team Caleb” stickers on their cars.

When weather postponed the race until after Caleb’s death, the Speedway honored his memory with a moment of silence.

There are those who will say that Caleb lost his battle.

I prefer to think that he won it.

Death is an eventuality that all must face in the end.

I pray that when my time comes, I can face it with the courage of this 11-year old.

2 Timothy 4:7-8 (NET) - I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith! Finally the crown of righteousness is reserved for me. The Lord, the righteous Judge, will award it to me in that day—and not to me only, but also to all who have set their affection on his appearing.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, September 21, 2018.
I will be back here on Friday, September 28, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment