Thursday, June 7, 2018

Rescued


This week our church hosted its annual Vacation Bible School.

Although primarily designed for children, we also provide a class for adults.

After all, education is important throughout our lives.

It was my pleasure and privilege to lead the adult class once again this year.

Months ago, I selected a personal favorite from my video library,

The Pilgrim’s Progress has always held a special place in my heart.

I have read Bunyan’s Christian allegory a number of times.

I have lost count as to the number of times I have watched the modern movie adaptation.

Every time I watch the movie or read the book, some particular element will resonate within me.

This time was no different.

What struck me this time was the fact that Jesus never turns anyone away.

When Christian, the main character, knocked at the gate he was admitted in.

The gatekeeper reminded him that no one is turned away no matter what their past sins may have been.

Evangelist, a major character, reminded Christian that every sin can be forgiven,

Then there was the character known as Hopeful.

Hopeful felt that his past sins were too great to be forgiven.

The words of Christ provided both comfort and forgiveness.

“Him that cometh to me, I will in no wise cast out.”

Hopeful’s relief was apparent in his thoughts: “He was able to make the worst of sinners righteous before God.”

On the fourth evening, I formally dismissed my class of adults.

I went outdoors as I was curious to see what the children were learning.

I watched as a good friend of mine asked the children what happens when we “mess up”.

In a unified voice they shouted, “Jesus Rescues!”

He does indeed!

May we be as forgiving.

James 2:13 (NET) - For judgment is merciless for the one who has shown no mercy. But mercy triumphs over judgment.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, June 15, 2018.
I will be back here on Friday, June 22, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment