Thursday, July 27, 2017

Father's - Earthly and Heavenly

Proverbs 20:7 (NET) - The righteous person behaves in integrity; blessed are his children after him.

My father’s birthday was just the other day.

I thought about him a great deal that day and the days since.

I was not yet a man when he died.

It is hard for me to believe that almost 40 years have gone by since the day he died.

I thought about the road I have traveled without him.

I thought of the questions I never got to ask him.

I pondered the fatherly wisdom he never got to give.

I thought of the many Father’s Days, birthdays and Christmases we could not celebrate together.

I reflected on the career I chose which he did not witness.

I thought of my personal successes he could not delight in.

I thought about many other things.

In the grand scheme of things, we did not have as much time together as we would have liked.

One thing is certain, neither of us knew that his last day on earth would be just that.

My father never saw the man I became.

Although I am by no means perfect, I am happy with the man I have become so far.

I give my father a good deal of the credit for that.

In the time we had together, he taught me many things.

He taught me the importance of work.

He taught me the importance of ethics.

He also taught me about the importance of relationships.

He taught me how to establish and nurture relationships with others.

He also taught me the importance of having a relationship with God.

Most importantly, he taught me these things by example.

As a result, I know that my Heavenly Father has shared with me in all the things my father could not.

I also know that I can turn to Him in any situation.

I know that He is an active participant in my life and not merely an observer.

He continues the work He started so many years ago.

Philippian 1:6 (NET) - For I am sure of this very thing, that the one who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, August 4, 2017.
I will be back here on Friday, August 11, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment