Thursday, November 24, 2016

With Gratitude

Reflection is always a good thing.

There is perhaps no better time than Thanksgiving for it.

It would be easy for me from a writing standpoint to simply list all for which I am thankful.

There are two reasons I will not.

First, it would not make for very interesting reading.

Second, reflection is much more than a simple cataloging process.

What I am most grateful for is summed up by John 3:16.

John 3:16 (NET) - For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

In all my years, one thing still amazes me.

Some people still refuse to accept God’s precious gift.

Some think this is just too easy.

Experience has taught me that life as Christian is often anything but easy.

Being a Christian means putting the needs of others before your own desires.

In some parts of the world being a Christian even means risking life and limb.

Some think that we should have to do something to earn God’s gift.

Truthfully speaking, there is nothing we can either say or do that can make us worthy of this gift.

Perhaps saddest of all, some think God’s way is just too exclusive.

They simply refuse to believe that God would provide only one way to salvation.

Why not two, or ten, or one hundred?

Why would an omnipotent God provide only one means of salvation?

I have studied a great deal of history through the years.

I have considered the evils that man has committed throughout the centuries.

Heartless regimes, genocide, torture and greed merely begin to list what man is capable of.

Considering this, isn’t it remarkable that God chose to provide us with even one way let alone more?

Besides, how can a way available to everyone possibly be thought of as exclusive?

So, after careful reflection, it is God’s gift for which I am most grateful.

God provided for our salvation.

He did so in the one and only way possible.

I guess what really makes this hard for some to believe is that God considers this a gift.

It is a gift we did not earn.

It is a gift we certainly did not deserve.

It is a gift born of divine love and one that should be accepted with gratitude.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, December 2, 2016.
I will be back here on Friday, December 9, 2016



No comments:

Post a Comment