Thursday, November 27, 2014

Preparing for Advent

The dictionary defines the word advent as “the arrival of a notable person, thing or event.”

Advent has its roots in the Latin word adventus which means “coming”.

The Season of Advent in the Christian calendar includes the four Sundays preceding Christmas and this Sunday is the first Sunday in Advent.

Though we celebrate the earthly birth of Christ on December 25, Advent marks the time in which we prepare our hearts for that day.

As there are four Sundays in Advent prior to Christmas, I thought I would select four passages of Scripture to help me in preparing my heart.

Isaiah 9:6 (KJV) - For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Isaiah’s words preceded Christ by centuries.

This reminds me that God’s promise is true and that He provided for our salvation through Christ who came to live among us.

Luke 1:31 (KJV) - And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name, JESUS.

These were the angel’s words to Mary.

God sent the angel to Mary to tell her that she would bear the Son who saves mankind.

He even told her the name chosen for Him, Jesus.

Matthew 2:2 (KJV) - Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

This reminds me that men anticipated His arrival and understood the appropriate response was to seek Him out and worship Him.

Matthew 3:17 (KJV) - And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

This reminds me that God Himself told the world that this was indeed His Son and that He loved Him.

These are the verses that I have chosen for myself for this Season of Advent to help me prepare my heart to celebrate His birth.

They will serve to remind me that His coming into the world was foretold by the prophets and ordained by God.

They will remind me to seek Him out and worship Him.

They will remind me that there can be absolutely no doubt as to who Jesus is.



Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The  Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, December 5, 2014.

I’ll be back here on Friday, December 12, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment