Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pearls of Wisdom

This week marked what would have been my parents' wedding anniversary.

Dad passed away several decades ago.

Mom left this world several years ago.

I was looking at their wedding picture that was taken shortly after World War II.

How young they look in that photo.

As I studied the photograph, I found myself reflecting on the wisdom they shared with me as I grew up.

Of course there were lessons that they intentionally taught me.

That was part of their responsibility as parents.

Then there was the wisdom each imparted to me.

That was different because this they did by example and by the way each lived.

The wisdom I gained from Dad was that humor was an essential part of living.

Personally, I find a sense of humor often helps me get through my day and perhaps allows me to help others get through their day as well.

One thing I have discovered is that within every bit of humor there lies at least a grain of truth.

Scripture tells me that there are times when laughter is appropriate.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NET) – For everything there is an appointed time, and an appropriate time for every activity on earth.

Ecclesiastes 3:4 (NET) – A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance.

The wisdom I gained from Mom was in her gentleness.

By example, she showed me that gentleness was not a sign of weakness but a true hallmark of inner strength.

Scripture also bears that out.

James 3:17 (NET) – But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, accommodating, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and not hypocritical.

Then, of course, I am also indebted to them for my faith.

Faith, when teamed with humor and gentleness can be quite powerful.

Perhaps the most powerful of ways is encouragement.

1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NET) – Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, just as you are in fact doing.

Life sometimes presents us with challenges.

When they occur, I am grateful to Dad for helping me to always look for the humor in the situation.

Sometimes it is difficult to find, but I assure you it is there.

I am very grateful to Mom for helping me to be gentle with others and perhaps be a source of strength for them.

I am grateful to them both for the faith they instilled in me as was their charge.

Most of all, I thank God for them both and for showing me the wisdom of their ways.

What pearls of wisdom have you received from the special people God has placed in your life?

What can you do with them?


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, December 20, 2013.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I’ll be back here on Friday, December 27, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment