Thursday, April 25, 2013

In the Midst of Tragedy

Recently, two tragic events occurred within days of each other.

The first happened near the finish line of the Boston Marathon when two bombs detonated within moments of each other.

The second happened in the Texas community of West when a fertilizer plant exploded.

The first occurred in a major metropolitan area; the second in a small town.

In both, lives were lost.

In both, many were severely injured.

The first was a deliberate act by two individuals who subscribed to an ideology based on hate.

The second was a terrible accident.

In the days that followed I planned to use this devotional to address a specific question that was on the minds of many.

During that time, I also read some things that caused me a tremendous amount of personal anguish and distress.

After much reflection and prayer, I decided to address both beginning with the one that caused me pain.

Shortly after the bombings in Boston I read in the news of a church in America that believed this event was a direct punishment from God.

A short time later I learned that members of this church felt the same way about the tragedy in the town of West.

I refuse to name that church (or the issue that drives them) as I have concluded they seem to enjoy such publicity.

This church not only drew an erroneous conclusion, they compounded their error by planning to engage in protests at the funerals of the fallen.

It was my personal opinion that their position was flawed, their language was profane and their viewpoint could have been considered just as extreme as those of the bombers themselves.

Adding to my sadness were some of the comments news readers posted in response.

One reader stated that this was why he did not go to church.

Another said that this was why he did not believe in God.

As Christians, our mission is to be a beacon drawing others to Christ rather than a force that drives them away.

While there were numerous passages of scripture I could have cited in response, I opted instead to summarize my viewpoint in a comment of my own that I posted in several forums.

I share that comment with you now.

"The God I worship would have none to perish, in fact. He sent His only Son to save sinners. Even sinners like me. That same Son teaches me to love my neighbor, especially when my neighbor refuses to love me in return. Events like this are not a punishment from a vengeful God, rather, they are a symptom of a fallen world. Scripture must be accepted and understood as a whole. You cannot simply carve it apart and accept the parts you agree with and discard the rest."

This brings me to the initial question that I thought many struggled with in the aftermath of these unfortunate events.

Where exactly was God during these tragedies?

We are taught as children that God is everywhere.

He really is.

When the bombs went off in Boston. God was in the first responders who ran toward the explosions rather than away from them.

God was in the three policemen who stood in front of the fallen runner to shield him from another potential blast.

God was in strangers who assisted those they did not know as they applied makeshift tourniquets to torn limbs.

When the fertilizer plant exploded in the town of West, God was in the dispatcher who stayed calm and did her job even though her friends who were already fighting the fire had likely perished in the blast.

God was in the students who were taking a class in becoming emergency medical technicians as they ran in to assist the injured.

God was in the throngs of people from surrounding communities who came in to help. Many were turned away because too many wanted to help.

God was in the people who collected and delivered relief supplies. So many items were donated that this became a problem in and of itself.

These are but a few examples of God’s involvement.

God was also involved much earlier.

God was also with an eight year old boy when he wrote the words "Stop hurting people" well before he was killed in the blast in Boston.

We live in a fallen world.

As a result, bad things happen.

God does not punish us with these events, neither does he abandon us when they occur.

God Is in control even when the world seems chaotic to us.

God has a plan and He is in complete control.

His plan is not one of punishment.

His plan is one of hope.

Jeremiah 29:11 (NET) - ‘For I know what I have planned for you,’ says the LORD. ‘I have plans to prosper you, not harm you. I plan to give you a future filled with hope.’


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, May 3, 2013.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I’ll be back here on Friday, May 10, 2013.
Schedule subject to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment