Thursday, March 22, 2012

Reflection on Forgiveness

As the season of Lent continues my thoughts inevitably turn to the Passion.

Christ endured great humiliation, tremendous pain and even physical death at the hands of people.

Years ago, a fellow student, with whom I attended Sunday School, asked me whom I thought was responsible for the death of Jesus.

I asked him to expand on his question.

He did so by asking me if I thought it was Judas, the teachers of the law, the soldiers, or someone else.

I asked him if he wanted to know what I really thought.

He said that he did.

I said that I thought I was, and that I thought that he was too.

Indeed every human being, alive or dead, was responsible for all that Jesus had to endure.

I say this because every human being is a sinner.

Romans 3:23 (NET) - for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Jesus lived a perfect life and became the perfect sacrifice for our sins.

John 1:29 (NET) - On the next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!"

Yet, in doing so, He endured much.

He was abandoned by His followers.

False witnesses told lies about him.

He was mocked.

He was beaten.

He was spit upon.

He was forced to wear a crown of thorns.

He was forced to carry His cross.

He was nailed to it.

Yes, Jesus endured much.

Yet when He looked upon his tormentors, He responded in a way that only He could.

He forgave them.

Moreover, He asked the Father to forgive them.

Luke 23:34 (ASV) - And Jesus said, Father, forgive them; for they know not what that they do. And parting His garments among them, they cast lots.

Jesus forgave them.

He forgave me.

He forgave my fellow student.

He forgave everyone.

As I continue my journey through Lent, I am reminded that as a Christian, I am called upon to forgive as well.

If Jesus could forgive so very much, shouldn't I be able to forgive so very little by comparison?



Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, April 6, 2012.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I’ll be back here on Friday, March 30, 2012.
Schedule subject to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment