Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fear Not

Worry... It is one thing human beings excel at.

Many of us are worried right now.

We worry about the state of the economy.

We worry about war.

We worry about the environment.

We also find ourselves concerned about things closer to home as well.

We worry about our children.

We worry about our parents

We worry about our jobs.

God must have known we would be prone to worry.

That is why He reminds us time after time in scripture to "fear not".

Somewhere I read that believers never fear or worry.

I do not agree with that.

There are many examples in scripture of the faithful dealing with their fear.

Elijah was afraid when Jezebel threatened to kill him.

Here was a man of God who took on the prophets of Baal and prevailed. Now a threat from Jezebel fills him with fear and he hides in a cave.

1 Kings 19:9 (KJV) - And he came thither to a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and He said unto him. "What doest thou here Elijah?"

Even Isaiah exhibited fear when he experienced a vision.

Isaiah 6:5 (KJV) - Then said I, "Woe is me! For I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of Hosts."

Even the followers of Jesus experienced fear.

Once when traveling by boat a great storm arose that greatly frightened them.

Mark 4:37-38 (KJV) - And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship so that it was now full. And He was in the hinder part of the ship asleep on a pillow: and they awake Him, and say unto Him, "Master, carest thou not that we perish?"

So, if you ever find yourself worried or afraid, relax. You are in excellent company.

When facing the unknown, the all too human response is to expect the worst.

The followers of Jesus expected the worst.

The reality was quite different.

Mark 4:39 (KJV) - And He arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, "Peace, be still." And the wind ceased and there was a great calm.

What of Isaiah?

After his lament of impending doom, God removed his sin and Isaiah’s fear was replaced with boldness.

Isaiah 6:8 (KJV) - And I also heard the voice of the LORD saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then said I, "Here I am, send me."

And what of Elijah?

Elijah received new instructions from God to appoint two new kings and a new prophet.

Not bad for someone God found hiding in a cave.

In life we face many unknowns.

We can assume the worst and allow fear to dominate our lives.

Or, we can turn to God and with His help "fear not".

Which option will you choose?


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeetteam.blogspot.com/ on Friday, September 23, 2011.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I’ll be back here on Friday, September 30, 2011.
Schedule subject to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment