Thursday, June 23, 2011

How I Found Myself A-"Paul"-ing

Acts 9:3-6 (NET) - As he was going along, approaching Damascus, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?" So he said, "Who are you, Lord?" He replied, "I am Jesus whom you are persecuting! But stand up and enter the city and you will be told what you must do."


For yet a second time I was asked to don a costume and portray the role of a Biblical figure for the children in our Sunday School at my church.

Although I never considered myself much of an actor, it did provide me with the opportunity of teaching children. The vast majority of the time I teach adults and I enjoy both the challenge and the opportunity to teach young people. Being familiar with the account of Paul, I felt I was capable of delivering a convincing performance.

The Sunday before, the children "met" Saul who told them that he was on a mission. A mission which involved the persecution of the early church.

Now, as the reformed Paul, I was to tell them about the experience on that road to Damascus as well as a few other things designed to make an impression on young minds and hearts.

When Sunday arrived, I found my lines waiting for me and read through them once. I was a bit surprised to discover that I had far more lines in this monologue than I had in my previous one in December.

I then donned my robe and read through my dialogue several times while I awaited my cue.

I must tell you that I gave one of my most convincing performances ever and it appeared that the children were really listening and absorbing what I was telling them.

Along with the direct references to the account found in Scripture, the monologue was written in such a way that "Paul" was having a conversation with the children. I found that conversation quite moving.

(Words that follow in italics © 2004 Abingdon Press. PowerXpress!® Bible Experience Stations®)


"I am sorry you had to hear about all the bad things I did last week, but who I was is a big part of my story. You see, I thought I had everything figured out. I knew exactly what was right and what was wrong. It was my job to tell other people what they should or should not do."


I certainly could relate to that.

I can admit that in the past I have done things which I regret. I also thought I knew everything; knowing what was right and wrong. I also felt it was my job, albeit a self appointed one, to tell people what they should or should not do.

"You know, I didn’t think anyone could stop me or change me. But someone did."

I felt no one could change me. In fact, I could not even see the need for anyone to change me at all.

It was when I finally got know, really know, Jesus Christ that I saw just how much I needed to change.

I am happy to say that He did just that.

I must also admit that I am very much a work in progress. I will be one as long as I continue to draw breath.

"Jesus spoke to me and told me to stop hurting Him and the people who followed Him. He told me to listen to His teachings and asked me to follow Him. Jesus said I should accept His love and forgiveness, and share that same love and forgiveness with other people - including people who aren’t like me."

Again, I found myself relating to these words meant for children. I am so very glad that Jesus loved me so much that He followed His Father’s will even though it meant a painful and humiliating death on a cross. If he was willing to do that for me, what excuse could I possibly use in failing to love or not forgiving others?

"So that is what I did. I changed my ways and began a new life."

That is what was certainly true of me. I turned my life over to Jesus and my life was never the same again.

So that is how I gave the best performance I had within me to give to a young and attentive audience.

I wasn’t trying to transform myself into Paul.

I simply portrayed myself... with a little bit of Paul thrown in.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeet.byethost3.com on Friday, July 8, 2011.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I’ll be back here on Friday, July 15, 2011.
Schedule subject to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment