Friday, March 11, 2011

On the Face of It

Some people are really good with names and faces.

I, unfortunately, am not one of those people.

Try as I might, it takes me a while to associate new names with new faces.

A few years ago I had an encounter with an older gentleman who was good with names and faces. Really good.

A new store had opened up along my daily commute about fifteen miles from where I live,

I stopped there on my way home one evening to pick up a few items and to check out then new store.

I said hello to the greeter on duty as he handed me my shopping cart and then proceeded to do my shopping.

I did not purchase very much so I determined there was no need for me to take my shopping cart outside.

I would simply leave the cart with the greeter on my way out.

As I prepared to exit the store, I noticed that the greeter I originally encountered was no longer on duty and another had taken his place.

I removed my bags and handed the now empty cart to the greeter and said, "Thank you. See you next time."

I was about half way to the door when the man said rather loudly, "Hey!"

I stopped and turned to face him.

He said, "You’re a Pokorny. Aren’t you?"

"Yes," I replied as I wondered how it was that he knew my last name.

He then named my parents and asked if he was correct.

I told him that he was indeed correct.

He then identified me by my first name and asked that was correct.

I replied that he was and asked how it was that he knew this about me.

He told me that he used to live in the town I still call home.

He then told me the year that he moved away and that he remembered my parents and me.

I was amazed.

This man had not seen me in decades!

The last time he saw me was when I was a child less than ten years of age.

Suddenly, decades later, he spotted a middle aged man with a full beard among a crowd of people filing out past him and was able to make a connection between the man I am today with the child that I once was!

We talked for a few more minutes about how much time had gone by and how much things have changed.

That incident still amazes me to this day.

As impressive as this man’s ability was, there is one whose ability surpasses even this.

Jeremiah 1:4-5 (NET) - The LORD said to me, "Before I formed you in your mother’s womb I chose you. Before you were born I set you apart. I appointed you to be a prophet to the nations."

Luke 12: 6-7 (NET) - Aren’t five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten before God. In fact, even the hairs on your head are all numbered. Do not be afraid; you are more valuable than many sparrows.



There are about six billion of us currently alive.

Billions have preceded us.

An untold number are yet to come.

Yet God knows each of us individually.

Now that’s impressive!

Why not take a moment now and get to know Him better.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://faithfulfeet.byethost3.com on Friday, March 18, 2011.
Please enjoy the contributions of my fellow Christian bloggers while you are there!
I’ll be back here on Friday, March 25, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment