Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Man Caleb



This devotional is dedicated in loving memory of Mrs. Lillian Hanna. As I gazed out from the podium at my audience on those early Sunday mornings when my turn rolled around, I always looked forward to seeing her face smiling warmly back at me. Mrs. Hanna was called home by the Lord on Valentine's Day, a day we set aside to celebrate Love. Mrs. Hanna, I celebrate your life and the abundant love you shared with us all.

Joshua 14:10-11 (NIV)
Now, as you can see, the Lord has kept me alive and well as he promised for all these forty-five years since Moses made this promise - even while Israel wandered in the wilderness. Today I am eighty-five years old. I am as strong now as I was when Moses sent me on that journey, and I can still travel and fight as well as I could then.

I really cannot understand why Caleb is not the subject of more sermons and devotionals.
If I were a coach and my team was trailing at the half, I would likely begin my talk to the team with, "Boys, let me tell you about my man Caleb!"

We first meet Caleb in the Book of Numbers when Moses selected twelve men (one from each tribe) to explore the land of Canaan.

Forty days later, they returned and reported to Moses and the entire community.

The report began on a positive note. They told how the land truly flowed with milk and honey and then proceeded to display some of the magnificent fruit they collected.

Then, the report turned negative. Some of the party told of the large and fortified cities. They then told of the large and powerful inhabitants.

Well, the damage was done. The people became discouraged.

Caleb stepped up and silenced the people and said, "We should go up and take possession of the land. for we can certainly do it."

Some of his fellow explorers objected and undermined Caleb's efforts.

By this time, the people were thoroughly discouraged and began to complain.

Caleb and Joshua pleaded with the people to trust God to keep His promise.

Their attempt failed.

God determined that not one of the other ten men who explored the land would live to enter the Promised Land.

Only Caleb and Joshua would enter that land, though they would have to wander forty years in the wilderness with the others first.

Caleb is mentioned briefly in Deuteronmy 1:36 but he is not mentioned again until he gives that motivational speech to Joshua in Joshua Chapter 14.

Joshua, who was an old man too, did not try to talk Caleb out of this plan. He never suggested that this was a task best suited for younger men. Joshua gave Caleb his blessing and granted him the mountain region to take for his possession.

This was going to be an uphill battle for an eighty-five year old man against a strong enemy that held the high ground (a huge military advantage in and of itself).

But, this was no ordinary eighty-five year old man. This was an eighty-five year old man who trusted God to keep His promise.

God did indeed keep that promise and Caleb and his descendants took possession of that land.
Oh, one more thing...

Caleb was forced to wander in the wilderness for forty years with people of lesser faith. Never once in that time is it recorded that he complained.

May God Bless You,
The Other Brother Jim

NEXT WEEK...
From "HOSANNA!" to "Crucify Him!"

No comments:

Post a Comment